What is an Online Payment Gateway?
An Online payment gateway is a merchant service provided by e-commerce service providers which allows users/customers to do direct financial transactions by using credit card over the internet and other modes. It is a tunnel that connects your bank account to the platform where you need to transfer your money. Online Payment Gateway plays the role of a third party that securely transfers your money from your bank account to the merchant’s payment portal. Although it is also seen as an e-commerce application, many provider companies use an online payment gateway in their website to allow easy and safe payment method for their services.
How does a payment gateway works?
The following are the basic steps showing how payment gateway works.
- A customer place order and submit through website or any platforms.
- The website takes the customer to a payment gateway where he/she can choose one of the payment gateways. Then, Payment gateway redirect customer to the issuing mode page.
- Customer is allowed to login on that module and pay online.
- Once the process is approved, the service provider checks the transaction and completes the order.
- Also, the customer gets order completion message.
Ten reliable online payment service providers in Nepal
There are about ten reliable online payment service providers in Nepal, some of the most renowned are: eSewa, Khalti, I- or Epay, IME Pay, Nabil or Himalayan bank and Qpay. In a list below we will describe 10 most used online payment gateways in Nepal.
- Esewa: Nepal’s first online payment gateway is a comprehensive online payment solution. With eSewa digital wallet, customers can pay, send and receive money simply using their mobile phone and the Internet instantly.
- Khalti: Khalti mostly known as mobile wallet, payment gateway and service provider in Nepal. It is operated and owned by Sparrow Pay Pvt. Ltd.
- Local bank: Currently there are two banks in Nepal who provide an online payment service, Nabil Bank and Himalayan Bank.
- Ipay: commonly used as an online payment service provider allows for easy payments of utility bills and mobile balance top ups.
- Qpay: While standing firm behind the slogan “Payment Simplified” Qpay has revolutionized the mobile payment option in to a user friendly and simple payment gateway or payment application.
- SCT MoCo: SmartChoice Technologies focus on integrated payment systems compatible with ATM’s and mobile devices.
- nPay: An online payment service provider that works together with the banks for an easy setup of the payment gateway. Focusing on m-banking, e-banking and accepts credit and debit cards.
- IME Pay: It is also known as the mobile payment service in Nepal, IME Pay allows its consumers to make the payment such as utility bills, money transfers, mobile top up and even the withdrawal of cash at local IME agents easily and safely by using their mobile devices.
- ePay: Making payment easier is what ePay stands for, on E-payment or electronic payment system from where the bank account is not required, by placing various payment kiosks it allows for a fast and secure payment from cash to digital.
- PayWay: or also known as Pay Way Nepal is a basic online payment service provider that allows merchants to integrate a payment gateway in their website.